I was born and raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina's 12th Congressional
I am the only candidate for Congress:
- With Financial, Tax Law, National, International, Security, Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence
- Who is a decorated U.S. Air Force Veteran.
- Who is an award winning Inspector General Officer, appointed and commissioned by
Former President Bill Clinton and Former Secretary of State Madeline Albright.
I was confirmed by the U.S. 105th Congress as an officer of the U.S. Diplomatic
I have been defending and helping the citizens of North Carolina including
Military Veterans for many years.
I am a decorated Veteran of
the United States Air Force. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from
Shaw University, in Raleigh, N.C.
and a Master of Science degree
in Taxation from Southeastern University in Washington, D.C.
I am a retired U.S. Diplomat Inspector General Officer, from the Department
of State's, U.S. Agency for International Development, (USAID) 2005. I
have dealt with and made recommendations to write and revise legislation on a national
and international level. I am ready for Congress now!
Click here to view Gardenia M. Henley's Congressional Record,V.144,Pt.5,April 22,
For over 22 years as an Inspector General Officer, under the authority of the Inspector
General's Act of 1978, I was responsible for Preventing and Detecting, Fraud, Waste,
Abuse and Mismanagement in the Executive Branch of Government. I have lived and
worked in Europe, South and Central America, Africa and in the Middle East, conducting
risk assessments, congressionally mandated audits, including audits of the Government
Management Reform Act of 1994 (GMRA) and the Government Performance Results Act
of 1993 (GPRA). I implemented, reviewed, and recommended revisions to policies passed
by the Legislative Branch of Government. I have conducted hundreds of risk assessments,
and congressionally mandated audits in the United States and in numerouse countries
around the world. I have seen the faces of fiscal and social mismanagement all too
well and I know how to correct it. I see a very serious and immediate need for the
veterans of North Carolina to get the financial, social and administrative help
that some of them have been fighting for and struggling to get for more than 40
years. I am proclaiming this year 2016, as the Year of the Veteran!
More Work Experience
- On several occasions, I volunteered my services with the political evacuations
of Liberia and Sierra Leone, Africa.
- I have helped many people, Americans, Foreign Nationals and especially veterans
with disabilities exercise their rights under the law.
- I have managed several political campaigns including former President Bill
and Hillary Clinton's visit to Dakar, Senegal.
- I have served on the housing board for the U.S. Department of State in Dakar
Senegal, West Africa.
- I served as an Inspector General Officer for the U.S. Peace Corps
in Washington, D.C.
- Inspector General Officer for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
where I was also the Inspector General Representative on the Environmental Protection
Agency Handicap Committee.
- I was an auditor for the Department of Defense Contract Audit Agency.
- I worked as a student aid wit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Eligiblity
Clinic and Finance Office in Winston-Salem, NC.
- I was an Adjuct Professor of Taxation and Strayer University
in Arlington, VA.
- I am a member of the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce
- The Women's Fund of Winston-Salem, NC
- CEO for The Henley Foundation
- Lifetime Member of American Veterans (AMVETS)
I was appointed to the board of Winston-Salem Sister Cities by the Winston-Salem
, where we are tasked with creating and strengthening partnerships
between U.S. and international communities
in order to increase global
cooperation, promote cultural understanding, and stimulate economic development.
I am the
- I will support all the people regardless of your race, gender, political affiliation
or religious beliefs.
- I will make sure that America is Kept Safe from Internal and External harm,
I have Experience in Security.
Responsible Use of Your Tax Dollars:
- I have been very successful in saving hundreds of millions of your
tax dollars during my career as an Inspector General Officer
- I will continue to fight against government Fraud, Waste, Abuse and Mismanagement.
- I will address your concerns relating to double taxation.
Economic Development and Redevelopment:
- I will support initiatives that will help keep and bring jobs into
- I will support buy local initiatives within North Carolina.
- I will continue to work with government and private industry to
encourage and promote economic development and redevelopment.
Ethical and Transparent Representation:
- I will always keep you in mind and consider your views and opinions
relating to how your tax dollars are being spent.
- I will not use your tax dollars for personal gain and will not
support others misusing your tax dollars.
- I will continue to be your financial and social watchdog and
will make sure that your tax dollars are not being misused.
- I will be ethical, transparent and fiscally responsible with your